DANIELE TAMAGNI GRANT
FOR HIGHER EDUCATION IN PHOTOGRAPHY (2019-2020)
One year scholarship at the prestigious “the Market Photo Workshop” in Johannesburg
Elevating Creativity to a Profession: thanks to the scholarship the recipient of the Grant will be in the position to become a positive agent of change, shining new light over the evolution of the African identity.
Impact rather than Money, the Daniele Tamagni Grant is to aggregate tangible and intellectual resources to address the creation of a long-term value proposition focused on Photography and Education.
The Grant, thanks to its partners and the panel members creates the opportunity of important global references in the photo and media industry, including important publishers and galleries.
Enable young photographers to develop projects and a career which share Daniele’s aims: to shine a light on social groups and individuals who contribute to social ,cultural and political change through creativity, respect and freedom and the strong identity with their everyday context, often challenging an adverse environment.
Foster confidence to a new generation of African minded Photographers, encourage them to explore the Identity beyond political consciousness and the layers of stereotypes of old fashioned media.
Promote the African Style as an Identity, also intended as a tool of communication and self empowerment.
The Scholarship includes:
- Advanced Programme in Photography or
Photojournalism and Documentary Photography Programme ,
yearly tuition at the Market Photo Workshop School in Johannesburg ZA (end of January – early December 2020).
- 2 A/R flights: one from the place of residence to Johannesburg ZA; the other from Joburg to Perpignan
- A monthly stipend of 9000 ZAR for residence, meals and other out of pocket expenses; a medical insurance
- Curation of a new body of work, developed during the Scholarship and to be presented for admission to the 2020 edition of the Festival Visa pour l’Image in Perpignan ; Travel to Perpignan , Visa pour l’Image, to be introduced to international photo editors and, based on the quality of portfolio , the opportunity to take part to dedicated programs and conferences
- Visa pour l’Image, Perpignan
- the Market Photo Workshop, Johannesburg will be the Main Partners, also supporting the activation of the Grant, Media – Communication and the Press Releases.
THE INTERNATIONAL JURY
Hannah Watson, London
Director of publisher Trolley Books and of contemporary art Gallery TJ Boulting.
Published Daniele’s winning award Gentlemen of Bacongo in 2009
Martina Bacigalupo- Paris.
Lived in East Africa for 10 years. Recipient of acclaimed international photographic awards. Martina joined Agence VU and is Picture editor of the French Magazine “6Mois”.
Neo Ntsoma, Johannesburg.
A photographer, educator and consultant , in 2004 became the first female to win the prestigious CNN African Journalist of year Photography prize. In 2006 she was named one of 100 most Influential Women by the Africa’s largest Media Group.
Sara Sozzani Maino, Milano
Deputy director of Vogue Italia and Head of Vogue talents, that scouts and support the best emerging creative talents, also in fashion photography.
Since 2018 International Brand Ambassador of Camera della Moda Italiana.
Brian Wallis, New York
He is the curator of Walther Collection ( NY/Ulm Germany). Previously deputy director and chief curator of International Center of Photography NY; worked for MOMA and Guggenheim Museum. Author and editor of numerous books.
Ekow Eshun, London
A curator and writer ( NY Times, Financial Times). He is the Chairman of Fourth Plinth Commissioning Group and the former director of the Institute of Contemporary Art .
His book Black Gold of the Sun was nominated for an OrwellPrize
Lekgheto Makola, Johannesbug
Head of the Market Photo Workshop, sits in the Advisory Committees of Catchlight in San Francisco and of Bamako Encounters in Mali. His artistic achievements include a bronze sculpture commission for President Mandela. He is an active member of the virtual continental network centers of Learning for Photography in Africa.
- Submission closing date 10th of October 2019
- Winner announced by 20th November 2019
- Curation of a new body of work, to be presented by end of May 2020 for admission to the 2020 edition of the Festival Visa pour l’Image in Perpignan ;
- Travel to Perpignan , Visa pour l’Image, September 2020 to be introduced to international photo editors and, based on the quality of portfolio , the opportunity to take part to dedicated programs and conferences
DANIELE TAMAGNI LEGACY
Daniele, born in Milan in 1972 after his graduation in Art History, elevated his passion for photography to a professional dimension in 2007, when he received the Canon Young Photographer Award. Then followed by the ICP Infinity Award in 2010 and the World Press Photo Award in 2011. Between 2007 and 2017, despite a severe condition marking his last 4 years of life, as the accolade of accomplishments and publications proves, Daniele became a leading photographer : harnessing is broad knowledge of art, his passion for style and fashion, his evident inspirational capacity to become a reference to generations of like-mindedindividuals all over the globe.
For details visit www.danieletamagni.com/grant
Milan, 15 JULY 2019