Applications open for the 2019 Alumnus Award
at the Market Photo Workshop
Applications are now being accepted for the 2019 Alumnus Award at the Market Photo Workshop that occurs every two years.
The Market Photo Workshop is hosting the 2019 Alumnus Award. The Market Photo Workshop Alumnus Award celebrates the outstanding achievements of Market Photo Workshop alumni. The award recipient should be a photographer who has used their experience of studying at the Market Photo Workshop towards the development of photography as a medium. This award is for alumni who are in the process of creating a new body of work and would like the opportunity to further develop and present a selection of this work.
The Alumnus Award will provide the winner with the opportunity to present their work at the Market Photo Workshop Gallery 1989, as well as provide initial support for the winner to continue the development of their photographic project into a completed body of work.
Award Benefits and Outcome(s)
Subject to certain conditions, the fellowship entails:
- R40,000 to continuing the development of the recipient’s body of work. The funds cover costs related to research, travel, and other photography related supplies
- Curating an exhibition of the body of work, and realising the printing, framing and curating of the selected works.
- Support and guidance of industry experts, who function as a crucial support network for the recipient.
Previous Market Photo Workshop Alumnus Award Recipient
2017 – 2018: Dahlia Maubane
Submit at 10 – 15 digital low-resolution images from the body of work that you would like to be further developed through the support of the Alumnus Award. All images must be in JPG format. Please note: a selection of random photos will not be considered. The body of work should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to produce comprehensive photographic work and evidence of research experience must be present in the work.
Include a description (maximum one A4) of the project/body of work in a Word document.
- The Award is open only to Alumni of the Market Photo Workshop
- Applicants must have fulfilled contractual requirements for Market Photo Workshop courses they were enrolled in or projects they participated in
- Applicants must have a proven track record in photography practice
- Applicants must have basic project management skills and demonstrate understanding of project management steps and processes
- Applicants must be independent, determined self-starters with a drive to succeed
- Applicants must be able to travel to Johannesburg for initial meetings
Selection of Award Recipient
- A panel of judges appointed by the Market Photo Workshop will participate in the selection process.
- Shortlisted candidates must be available for an interview soon thereafter.
- Judges need to be satisfied that the chosen project proposal has merit; that the candidate will be able to manage the project, and that he/ she is likely to derive lasting benefits from the Award. The Market Photo Workshop retains the right to request applicants to edit proposals.
Applications close on Friday 21 June 2019, 12h00.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Bekie Ntini on +27 11 834 1444 with any queries.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.