“Applications open for the 2017 Tierney Fellowship at the Market Photo Workshop”
Applications are now being accepted for the 2017 Tierney Fellowship at the Market Photo Workshop.
The Market Photo Workshop in partnership with The Tierney Family Foundation realise the importance of creating opportunities for the cultivation and development of photographers and photography as a medium. The Fellowship will provide the successful applicant with the financial support necessary to research and produce a body of photography work, in consultation with a mentor of their choice, over the period of a year.
Fellowship Benefits and Outcome(s)
Subject to certain conditions, the fellowship entails:
- R40,000 to produce the body of work that the recipient proposes to develop. The funds cover costs related to research, travel, and other photography related supplies
- Based on further availability of funds, the fellowship can be extended to curate an exhibition of the body of work, and possibly a publication of that work.
2008 – Tracey Edser
2009 – Simangele Kalisa
2010 – Thabiso Sekgala
2011 – Mack Magagane
2012 – Lebohang Kganye
2013 – Sipho Gongxeka
2014 – Matt Kay
2015 – Tsepo Gumbi
2016 – Celimpilo Mazibuko
- Submit two projects/series of work with at least 8-10 digital low-resolution images per project. Maximum of 20 low-resolution files in total (max. 5MB). All images must be in JPG format. Please note: a selection of random photos will not be considered.
- Include a brief description (maximum one A4) of each of the projects/series in a Word document.
Proposal should include descriptions under the following headings:
- Proposal Concept
- Why you have chosen this concept
- What you wish to accomplish with this work
- Why this opportunity is significant for you
- Include an abridged CV in a Word document or pdf.
All four files above need to be named as separate folders and compressed in one zip-file as: <firstname_surname>.zip.
- The fellowship is open to all students of the Market Photo Workshop
- The fellowship is open to alumni who have studied at the Market Photo Workshop since 2007
- The fellowship will be awarded to applicants who are resident in Southern Africa
- Applicants must have fulfilled contractual requirements for Market Photo Workshop courses they were enrolled in or projects they participated in
- Applicants must have basic project management skills and demonstrate understanding of project management steps and processes
- Applicants must be independent, determined self-starters with a drive to succeed
- Students and alumni that come form needy financial background or previously disadvantaged individuals are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must not have produced a solo exhibition before
- Applicants must be able to travel to Johannesburg for initial meetings
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at time of application
Selection of a candidate
- A panel of judges appointed by the Market Photo Workshop, including panellists from The Tierney Family Foundation, will participate in the selection process.
- Shortlisted candidates must be available for an interview soon thereafter.
- Judges need to be satisfied that the chosen project proposal has merit; that the candidate will be able to manage the project, and that he/ she is likely to derive lasting benefits from the fellowship. The Market Photo Workshop retains the right to request applicants to edit proposals.
Applications close on Friday 5 June 2017.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Bekie Ntini on +27 11 834 1444 with any queries.