The Photocopy Club Collective Project
International Open Call for Submissions
The Photocopy Club’s brand new exhibition project has now been announced, and this time we are giving you the chance to exhibit your work in both the UK and South Africa in October and November. All you need to do is make a collective with 3 or more people and together make a photographic work that is based on the theme of community. Once you have your project shot, you need to find a photocopier, Print your work any size from A4 – A1, in Black and white and post it to us at the address below.
Have fun, experiment and show us communities that the world may not know of. – The Photocopy Club 2014
Deadline: 22 September 2014
The Photocopy Club, in partnership with Joburg Photo Umbrella and the Brighton Photo Biennial, invite photographers of all ages and abilities to join them for a giant collective making to be exhibited during BPB14 and one month later, during Joburg Photo Umbrella.
This project will bring international photographers and local communities together, making photography in print affordable and accessible to people from all different walks of life.
All Photocopy Club exhibitions are based on photographers submitting their work printed via the use of a black and white photocopier/xerox machine.
For Photocopy Club exhibitions to be shown during BPB14 and Joburg Photo Umbrella, photographers around the world are asked to form collectives with their friends, family and peers and submit on the theme of community.
Matt Martin from The photocopy club explains,
‘We want you to come up with a collective name and make individual or a group images that work around the theme of community. For example: Music, Religion, sport, art, sex, politics… think about the city you live in and what communities live within it.’
Zine Workshops and Exchange
From the submissions, a handful of our favorite UK and SA collectives will be invited to a group zine-making workshop in their countries. Resulting zines from the UK will be swapped with a group of collectives in SA and exhibited in Johannesburg as part of the Joburg Photo Umbrella.
- Collectives must number between 3 and 10 members.
- Submissions must be printed in black and white using a photocopier/xerox machine with a minimum paper size of A4 (12x8in) .
- All submissions must be signed, dated on the back and show the collective’s name on the front.
- 2 copies of each submission must be made. One copy for BPB and other for Joburg Photo Umbrella. These will then be separated and delivered to the exhibition spaces.
- All submissions must be sent via post or by hand to The Photocopy Club or Market Photo Workshop. No electronic submissions will be considered.
- All image rights stay with the photographer but once submitted you consent to the work being exhibited and your images being used for press. All work sent will also be available for the public to purchase for a small donation, with the money made going towards the support of the zine workshops and a split zine of the joint exhibitions.
- Any work not sold will go into the photocopy club archive and may be used at future photocopy club exhibition.
Feel free to choose whichever postal address is most cost effective for you.
All entries must be clearly marked with “Photocopy Club 2014” and have the contact details of a member of the collective.
The Photocopy Club
65 – 67 Ridley Rd
Dalston E8 2NP UK
The Photocopy Club Entry
Market Photo Workshop
2 President Street
For queries or more information, contact Tiffany Mentoor
(011) 834 1444 T
The project is part of SA-UK Seasons 2014 & 2015 which is partnership between the Department of Arts & Culture, South Africa and the British Council