Market Photo Workshop Alumnus Award Call for Submissions
The Market Photo Workshop is hosting the inaugural Alumnus Award. The Market Photo Workshop Alumnus Award celebrates the outstanding achievements of Market Photo Workshop alumni. The award winner should be a photographer who has used their experience of studying at the Market Photo Workshop towards the development of photography as a medium. This award is for alumni who are in the process of creating a new body of work and would like the opportunity to further develop and present a selection of this work.
The Alumnus Award will provide the winner with the opportunity to present their work at the Market Photo Workshop stand at the FNB Joburg Art Fair from 8 – 10 September 2017, as well as provide initial support for the winner to continue the development of their photographic project into a completed body of work. The FNB Joburg Art Fair is Africa’s leading art fair focused on contemporary art from the continent and diaspora. Now in its tenth year, it continues to strengthen this position by presenting the finest of contemporary African art alongside memorable exhibitions and groundbreaking initiatives.
The Market Photo Workshop will provide financial support in realising the printing, framing and curating of the selected works at the FNB Joburg Art Fair 2017. The winner of the award will also receive funding to the amount of R15 000.00 towards continuing the development of the selected body of work.
Submit at least 10 – 15 digital low-resolution images from the body of work that you would like to see presented at the FNB Joburg Art Fair. All images must be in JPG format. Please note: a selection of random photos will not be considered. The body of work should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to produce comprehensive photographic work and evidence of research experience must be present in the work.
Include a brief description (maximum one A4) of the project/body of work in a Word document.
- The Award is open only to alumni of the Market Photo Workshop
- Applicants must have fulfilled contractual requirements for Market Photo Workshop courses they were enrolled in or projects they participated in
- Applicants must have a proven track record in photography
- Applicants should demonstrate knowledge of the role and significance of photography within society and an ability to use photography as a tool to transmit information about society, and as a tool for change
- Applicants must have basic project management skills and demonstrate understanding of project management steps and processes
- Applicants must be able to travel to Johannesburg for initial meetings
Selection of a candidate
A panel of judges appointed by the Market Photo Workshop will participate in the selection process.
Shortlisted candidates must be available for an interview soon thereafter.
Applications close on Friday 14 July 2017.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Bekie Ntini on +27 11 834 1444 with any queries.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.