OPEN CALL: Photography Incubator Programme
Applications open for the 2017 Photography Incubator Programme
at the Market Photo Workshop
Deadline: Friday 19 May 2017
Market Photo Workshop, with support from the Department of Arts and Culture, is sending out a call for photography enterprises and entrepreneurship proposals. The Photography Incubator Programme will use hands-on job experience, combined with technical and theoretical support and incubation, with the aim of enhancing and elevating photographers’ business ventures and artistic practice. The Programme will begin in June 2017 and end in February 2018.
The Programme provides practical experience and exposure to fully understand major aspects of the enterprise of photography. This includes photography entrepreneurship and business management, gallery practice, curatorial production, editing, training and participatory projects and will explore photography through artistic, commercial, and media practice.
The outcomes of the Photography Incubator Programme may include but is not limited to:
- Fully developed photography projects that may take the form of exhibitions, participatory projects, talks, workshops, open studios, photo walks, publications, screenings and online projects.
- Projects engaging with the public and in communities through photography.
- The development of a publication as a record and reflection of overall activities
- Each photographer being given the tools and support to formally register and build their own photography business.
The Programme is aimed at photographers practicing in South Africa with at least 2 years of practical experience, who are seeking to further their conceptual and artistic practice by developing business and entrepreneurial skills. Preferential advantage will be given to women photographers in need of business developmental support.
- Applicants must submit a proposal for a photography activity they plan on pursuing during the Incubator Programme using the Proposal Requirements and Eligibility Criteria stipulated below.
- 10 practicing photographers will be selected through this open call process.
- A panel of judges appointed from the staff of the Market Photo Workshop will participate in the selection process.
- Shortlisted candidates must be available for an interview soon thereafter.
Proposed Project description that contains the following (maximum 2 pages):
- Detail your interests in developing a photography business.
- A short proposal of an innovative photography business concept that you would like to develop further with support from the programme.
- A project schedule with milestones and implementation
- A list of proposed project goals/objectives
- List of each of your proposed project strengths, weaknesses, opportunities or threats in the description.
- A comprehensive CV and professional biography.
- An existing portfolio of 12-20 photographs (Jpeg files, folder not more that 5MB).
- Applicants must be South African and locally based within Gauteng or demonstrate the ability to commute regularly to the Programme. Preference will be given to women applicants.
- Applicants must demonstrate a high ambition to be an entrepreneur or business owner. Successful candidates must register a company within the first phase of the Photography Incubator Programme.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they have a desire to develop a photography or photography-related business, or own a recently launched photography business that they would like to accelerate. It is highly recommended first time entrepreneurs apply.
- Judges will select applicants who will be able to fully participate in the project, and who are likely to derive lasting benefits from the Photography Incubator Programme.
Applications close on: Friday 19 May 2017
All applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com
Applicants are encouraged to contact Bekie Ntini on +27 11 834 1444 with any queries.