Call for Applications 2014 Tierney Fellowship
The Market Photo Workshop in partnership with The Tierney Family Foundation realise the importance of creating opportunities for photographers to cultivate the development of photographers and photography as a medium. The Tierney Fellowship creates an ideal space for a photographer to develop such a body of work. The Fellowship will provide the successful applicant with the financial support necessary to research and produce a body of photography work, in consultation with a mentor, over the period of a year.
Fellowship Benefits and Outcome(s)
Subject to certain conditions, the mentorship entails:
- R30,000 to produce the body of work that the recipient proposes to do. The R30,000 covers costs related to research, travel, and other supplies
- Based on successful funding and availability of funds, the mentorship grant can be extended to develop and the produce an exhibition of the work, and possibly further to a publication of the produced body of work should the work merit such
2008 – Tracey Edser
2009 – Simangele Kalisa
2010 – Thabiso Sekgala
2011 – Mack Magagane
2012 – Lebohang Kganye
2013 – Sipho Gongxeka
- The mentorship will be awarded to applicants who are resident in Southern Africa
- The residency is open to all students of the Market Photo Workshop
- The residency is open to alumni who have studied at the Market Photo Workshop since 2004
- Applicants must have fulfilled contractual requirements for Market Photo Workshop courses they were enrolled in or projects they participated in
- Applicants must have basic project management skills and demonstrate understanding of project management steps and processes
- Applicants must be independent, determined self-starters with a drive to succeed.
- Students and alumni that come form needy financial background or previously disadvantaged individuals are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must not have produced a solo exhibition before
- Applicants must be able to travel to Johannesburg for initial meetings
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at time of application
Applicants must submit the following:
- A 2 pages Project Proposal using the following headings:
- Proposal Title
- Proposal Concept
- Why I have chosen this concept
- What I wish to accomplish with this work
- Why this opportunity is significant for me
- What I think the photographs will look like
- A comprehensive CV.
- An existing portfolio of 12-20 photographs (Jpeg files, folder not more that 5MB). The portfolio must be a body of work, or maximum 2 bodies of work. The portfolio should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to produce comprehensive photography work and evidence of research experience must be present in the work.
Selection of a candidate
A panel of judges appointed by the Market Photo Workshop, including panelists from The Tierney Family Foundation, will participate in the selection process.
Shortlisted candidates must be available for an interview soon thereafter.
Judges need to be satisfied that the chosen project proposal has merit; that the candidate will be able to manage the project, and that he/ she is likely to derive lasting benefits from the fellowship. The Market Photo Workshop retains the right to request applicants to edit proposals.
Applications close on Friday 16 May 2014 at 12h00
Applicants are encouraged to contact Bekie Ntini on +27 11 834 1444 with any queries.
For more information on the Fellowship and project partners visit http://www.tierneyfellowship.org.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
2013 Tierney Fellow, Sipho Gongxeka, will be exhibiting his body of work at The Photo Workshop Gallery opening 9 July 2014.